Friday, September 24, 2010

God's Word.....

this morning my youngest rose from sleep earlier than usual.  i took the rather perfect opportunity to read God's Word!  i wasn't sure were i wanted to start.  i started in proverbs 22:17-29.  i have always wanted to have elders to listen to with wise words (that know more about scriptures than i do).
proverbs 22:17-18 says:
Incline your ear, and hear the words of the wise,
and apply your heart to my knowledge,
for it will be pleasant if you keep them within you,
if all of them are ready on your lips.
it seems though that in listening to some of my elders they instruct me to put my hope in the things of this world (for example:  saving money for the future instead of trusting in the Lord to provide what we need from day to day).  not that i haven't ever received wise counsel from elders, but we are not even promised tomorrow, therefore i will not put my hope in the things of this world!  i don't think God intended for me to plan for tomorrow.  i think He intends for me to trust in Him for tomorrow.  i think He intends for me to make Him my highest ultimate goal (my chief end) and the one i trust in with ALL things!  by chief end i'm talking about "what is the chief end of man?" ......to glorify God and enjoy Him forever!  this should be our highest ultimate goal in this life....NOTHING should come before glorifying God and enjoying Him forever!  to be able to glorify God and enjoy Him forever, this is such a glorious blessing.  yet so often we let the things of this world take over our lives to the point God is no longer our highest ultimate goal. we start to look to things of this world for comfort only to find that we can't seem to find an everlasting comfort until our eyes are again turned to trust in the Everlasting God.  anyway, my point is that i want to be able to have my lips ready with God's Word and to be able to discern the difference between wise elders and elders that put their trust in the things of this world.  i do want to make something clear.......i do believe God allows us to enjoy things on this earth as long as those things are not put above God and we find a way to do those things to the glory of God.

anyway, after reading from proverbs 22 i then went over to psalm 145.  i found great encouragement as i read this psalm.  i hope i always have a desire to meditate on God's Word and to declare His greatness!  i don't want to ever let sin take over my life and stray from these things!

i am so thankful that God gave us His Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.