Thursday, August 12, 2010

good books and good recipes....doesn't get much better

So I was looking back at my blog today noticing that I had started it August 1st.  It already seems like it's been so much longer than that!  In thinking about this I came to the realization that my blog is still not where I want it to be.  I guess, in reality, it's just going to take some time.

I did want to share with you a little bit about some stuff I'm reading or have read.  First of all, I love to read.....if you didn't know that already!

First, I want to share about a book that my mom bought for me last year around my birthday.   I started the book almost as soon as my mom gave it to me and finished it within two weeks!  Which I have to say was pretty amazing when I had a 6 month old and my oldest had just turned 2.
http://www.kathleenreid.com/index.htm "A Page Out of Life"
If you enjoy scrapbooking, you will probably enjoy this book.  I doubt the author of the book is a believer, but the book is kept clean and well written.  I personally enjoyed the book and have been wanting to read it again.

Another book I want to share about is "Redeeming Love"  http://francinerivers.com/articles/redeeming-love 
This one I have yet to finish (won't be long though), but just let me say I can tell it's going to be one of my favorites!  I am enjoying reading it so much!  It's definitely an amazing book and I would highly recommend you read it....I can guarantee you won't be disappointed!

There are lots of books I have read, am currently reading, and would like to read!  Today, these are the only two I will share with you.  :-)

Now, on another note, I think I will share some of my favorite recipes so far from Deceptively Delicious.
http://www.deceptivelydelicious.com/site/
My favorite breakfast recipe so far:  Blueberry Lemon Muffins


  • non-stick cooking spray
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
  • 4 tablespoons soft tub margarine spread
  • 1 cup lowfat lemon yogurt
  • 1 cup blueberries
  • 1/2 cup yellow squash puree (just cook the squash and puree it in a food processor)
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 teaspoons pure lemon extract
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350.  Either coat muffin pan with cooking spray or use liners.  In a large bowl, beat sugar and margarine with wooden spoon.  Stir in yogurt, blueberries, squash puree, egg, lemon extract, and zest.  Add flour, flaxseed meal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Stir just to combine-do not over mix.  Batter will be lumpy.  Fill the muffin pan with batter.  Bake until tops are slightly brown and toothpick comes out clean.  This should be about 15 minutes.  Store in an airtight container at room temperature for about 2 days.

The verdict:  The whole family enjoyed them!  I think for the kids these muffins probably came in second.  The french toast recipe was their favorite!  I doubled the recipe because I purposely wanted to make a lot so we would have it for a few days.....but it was way to much.  Also I chose to store them in the fridge.

My favorite lunch/dinner recipe so far:  Burgers 2

  • 1 pound lean ground turkey or sirlion
  • 1/2 pound white button or shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped
  • 1 cup whole wheat or seasoned breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped or grated zucchini
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons ketchup
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • whole grain hamburger buns
Mix all ingredients together (except the buns of course)!  Make into patties and grill em!  Yummy!

The verdict:  Chris and I enjoyed them.....the kids weren't so crazy about them.  To save time I used a food chopper to chop the mushrooms and zucchini......made it super simple.  This made quite a few burgers too, we ate off of it several times.  Leftovers is always a plus with me! :-)

The other day I was searching online and found a recipe that sounds yummy!

http://www.cookiemag.com/food/sneakitin/2007/02/sneakEFA?currentPage=3

I haven't tried it yet, but I'll let you know the verdict when I do.  I'm excited about trying it and can't wait!

Well that's all for today folks.  I'm working on creating a schedule (or at least a better schedule) for the boys during the week.  They need more structure!  Oh and I almost forgot, I also need to go apply a bandaid to a ripped boot before my oldest boy has heart failure......and Yes, you read that correctly!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.